PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Union of Teachers vote to stop MoD recruitment in Schools
Old 26th Mar 2008, 13:12
Auster Fan

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Anybody know what power the NUT has to stop visits by the Armed Forces to schools? I would have thought that it was down to the school governers and the Head Teacher to decide, or am I being too traditional?
The Head Teacher has the ultimate say on who is invited to speak in a school. Given that when I was the Squadron Commander of an ATC Squadron, they wouldn't let me or any other uniformed member of staff in to talk about the advantages of being an ATC cadet, the chances of letting in Service personnel were nil and reducing; whether that has changed subsequently, I don't know. They think we turn all 13 - 20 year olds into steely eyed monsters, rather than well rounded, self disciplined and well mannered individuals (generally speaking). Golden Brown (and President Blair before he) is very keen to promote citizenship in schools. That has been enshrined in the Aims of the Corps since 1968, at least. Shame they don't tell the NUT that......................