PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GFT Advice
Thread: GFT Advice
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2001, 21:51
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Tricky: yep: no separate nav test now. As part of the Skill Test you do a nav section, planning a route the examiner gives you before the test begins, flying part of it, then being told to fly a diversion to somewhere else (in my case the very smallest grass strip in the biggest area of green fields in all of Merrie Englande, which caused the examiner to chortle mightily as I flew in many circles).

I believe that the examiner does have discretion to offer a second try on the PFL. I had two goes at the PFL during my test: the first try was poor and the examiner rightly felt uncomfortable with it, and to cap it all my chosen field turned out to have cables in it (that was tough luck as neither I nor the examiner could see them until very late on: always a nightmare scenario for the real thing). The examiner gave me a second go, which turned out OK (apart from the examiner having a coggy on final and suggesting that I would be landing with a tail-wind when I was pointing pretty much into wind, the moral of which is: don't be afraid to speak up, as I told him he was wrong and he agreed that he was).

Went out and practised lots of PFLS since then, so that I actually received kind words for the one I did in my BFR (pity about the landings: as the bloke said "you should be certified fit to crash in a safe and lawful manner but scrubbed from normal flying").

[ 12 July 2001: Message edited by: FNG ]