PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2008, 23:29
goldcard60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginning to see clearly

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since my post this morning I've spent some time researching this issue. I must say I am impressed with the information presented on www.baplane-bapilot.org . I cannot find anything from BA about the current situation, other than a statement to say there will not be a strike over Easter.

I believe the dispute is currently held up by some legal wrangling over an EU treaty, which on the face of it I do not think applies in this case. Neither does my (highly paid) employment attorney. I am sure BA's legal advice is the best money can buy, and they will proceed as they see fit.

I've left several messages for my executive club "manager" and none have been returned. I shall not book a flight with BA until I have some certainty as to how this fracas will unfold.

I have to say, I am beginning to side with the pilots here. I am shocked to hear that BA are effectively outsourcing their pilot jobs. I would hope to find the same degree of crew training when travelling with BA from London to New York as from Paris to New York. I certainly expect a highly trained (and highly paid) crew member when I pay upwards of $10,000 for a seat on BA. My daughter had a road traffic accident some years back while on holiday, and I certainly didn't accept the local Puerto Rican surgeon. I flew one out from Miami, and his bill was more than justified in my eyes. My daughter spent 6 months in hospital, and walked again after 4 months. Worth every cent.

That is not to say that outsourcing is a bad business decision, and in fact my business uses approximately 40% outsourced labour. But not the professional, skilled employees. That is a very dangerous road to go down, and we are certainly not willing to take that chance.

I detect a certain degree of paranoia on this website about managers and journalists masquerading as something other than what they are. For the record, I am a successful businessman with established concerns on three continents. I obtained my Private Pilots License in December and I am looking for a Lear, which is what first brought me here to this website.

I shall keep reading, thank you all for a lively and on the whole grown up debate.