PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2008, 21:52
vkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I would read from this post that there is concensus that 1. Big dosh is being given out to regional airports and that is crazily ill thought out & 2. There is not joined up thinking by government on air transport policy???? Does everyone concur?"

I certainly would. There are far too many regional airports for a country of its size, especially on the West/South coast. The argument about the environmental savings of people not having to drive to an airport is nonsense..especially if the flights are half empty..that would be far more enviromentally damaging imo. I would think DUB/SNN/NOC/ORK should be developed as the Republics main airports. 4 is plenty for a country of Irelands size but thats my opinion. Developing every other little airport is ridiculous imo, a total waste of resources and puts the main airports in a weakened position.

iwhak - heard very different numbers to that in relation to SNN but i'm not 100% on them so not going to post until I am.

I still have yet to hear a credible alternative to FR or the incentives offered to any airline at SNN. If people think these are so bad what are the alternatives. I dont think there is any secret about whats on offer to ANY airline at SNN. They are all here and I, personally think this is good business in a market place where ever air field in the country wants routes and airlines. If nothing else it has a big benefit to the region. I think it would also be naive to think that any other airport would not negotiate terms with airlines to start routes but the focus is always on Shannon.

I also have yet to be convinced of the huge subsidies that SNN is getting over other airports. Other airports are doing better imo than SNN has recently..read my earlier posts