PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems at MD - merged threads
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2008, 21:13
Avnx EO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where will MD Helicopters land.

Reports in the Fort Worth Star Telegram on Sunday were that Alliance Airport (Just North of Fort Worth) is out as the new location for MD. Something about not liking the idea of being on the same airport as Bell. They had 5 other possible locations mentioned: Dallas Executive Airport, A place in Sherman Tx. Oklahoma City and Shreveport La. (all still pretty close to DFW.) And I think there is still another location in consideration in Az.

It would be great to see MD move into the area, With Eurocopter, Sikorsky, Bell, and ASW-100/170 and several completion outfits all in the area, this is becoming the “Mecca” for rotorcraft. Which means you develop a great talent pool in the area that can go from one to the other without moving across the country. It's good for the companies, and good for the talent.

But in the end, I don't understand some of the candidates that are being considered. I know you want to move out of cities that structure their tax laws on the basis of your inventory value (Which is why you don't want to be in Fort Worth or Dallas proper.) But why a helicopter company would locate itself in a backwater. I would think being close to a major commercial airline hub would be a must for the business. Easy access to travel for customers/vendors/ employees - plus for good AOG support, shipping out parts, etc. Hope MD makes the right decision.

Anyone got a buzz on where it's settling out?