PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects
Old 25th Mar 2008, 19:29
rotorboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went down this very road a few years back. I did the research, made the calls and emails , then hopped on the plane and went visiting, with the money to start when I found what I was looking for

I went to NZ for a holiday and to get my PPL (H). At the time the American Peso was worth something and there was great value in obtaining the license in NZ. ( the excahnge was .31 cents US to a kiwi dollar) It was also very easy to covert it to a FAA PPL at the time. All I had to do was show up at the FSDO!

From what I gather the NZ heli training market has become similar to the US one in several ways. Many of the flight schools are mills and have financing schemes, they are busy and crowed and Low time guys teaching ( not that I think that is always a bad thing). I was there right at the begining of that 8 years ago.

If thats what you want, go to the states, the FAA lic may be easier to convert in the future.

If you are looking for a more personal experience, some of the names mentioned would a great way to go. When I went to NZ I did a lot of research, I wanted to have Bruce Harvey teach me. His location is great and the man is a very experinced pilot who has worked all over the world. He lives on the airport and used to have a flat for a student to use. The problem is he only takes one or two students at a time, ( if he is in country) and often there is a waiting list. When I got to NZ, I made a trip up just to see him and chat even though I knew he did not have the time for me. He was very helpful about answering my questions.

The other name I would look up is Ian Wakeling. He has a R22, and is a wealth of knowledge and a very nice man. He gave me all sorts of good advice when I was trying to find a place to learn.

Wanaka: Simon spencer Bower is a very experienced instructor. The problem with Wanaka is I think you would have too much fun. The place is specatular and the setting unreal. I think I would have been way to distracted there. I spent amonht there after I got my license, and didnt want to leave.

I wouldnt trade my NZ experience for anything, I would have done a few things differently but isnt that how it always goes. The people and the scenery are fantastic.

The only downside is I believe it is important to train where you want to work or have opertunity to work. If your just looking to do a PPL and have a great holiday go for it.

I may still have Ian's email and phone, if you cant find it. Old Ian must be getting up there in age too!

RB

Last edited by rotorboy; 26th Mar 2008 at 03:02.