PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff CAS and VFR depts?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2008, 19:10
GunkyTom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, really saying "no altitude XXXX" OCAS, I would consider incorrect. It's implying the controller can imply an altitude restriction, which he can't.
Although not pertinent to the posted situation ,a controller can impose an altitude restriction or even instruct you to maintain a level or not above/not below xxxx outside CAS. If you are receiving a radar adv service then those are the conditions you have to accept. If you can't comply, then I would downgrade you to RIS or even FIS. You mention FIS in your post. Certainly all the airports I have worked at DO NOT give a FIS inside CAS. As I said, I am not familiar with FF airspace but in any CAT D that I have worked in, it is a radar control service inside and RAS/RIS/FIS outside. The type of service you quote (FIS) implies to me that you were outside CAS and the controller had no restrictions to place on you as long as you remained outside, either vertically or laterally. It is just possible that if he/she had traffic to affect, he may have asked you to 'report before flying above xxxx due traffic' RE. no report of a level bust. As you were on a FIS, the controller probably wasn't watching that closely because he doesn't have even ident you to provide that. I would go along with 1985's advice and call or have a visit and ask the question. ATC are generally a friendly lot and the kettle normally has just boiled