PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class One Run down
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2008, 18:52
maxdrypower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class One Run down

Not sure if this has been done before. Enough people seem to post regarding what happens on the day .
So here is a run down of the day at Gatwick
Prior to look at this ere site :-

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...=90&pageid=527

There are 3 forms to fill in one for hearing one for eyesight and one general medical form . These can be printed out from this site. It does say you have to print them and bring them with you on the day. One chap I was with didnt , he was given them there and then with no drama and filled them in while he waited.
To arrange your appointment contact the number given on the above site or if your feeling lazy 01293-573700. Given about two weeks notice you can pretty much choose your date . The medical costs 310 quid and must be payed for when you book an apt .There are two apt times 9:45 and 12:45 each day you choose .
You will recieve confirmation in the post with instructions for the day. This will also give you directions to gatwick and Aviation house. It states that parking is at a premium and they advise using public transport. On the day I attended there was more than ample parking available .You are advised you will be there for about three hours . I found this to be accurate.
A brief wait in reception and you will be called in to the waiting area of the medical centre. there were 3 other chaps present at the same time as me , not sure if that is the norm .
Each person then gets taken off to a different area at about the same time and once finished you are swapped round .

I was taken firstly to the hearing tests . this consists of sitting in the fridge like thing pressing the button when you hear the beeps .

Next was the ECG , very quick takes about 5 minutes

From there It was into another room where I did the spirometry . Lung function tests . You get two seperate tests firstly take a deep breath and expel all the air you can into the tube . you did this twice . Then you do the same again but this time expel it as fast as you can . the machine takes the readings and you either pass or fail . I believe the scores required can be found on the website.

I was then blood tested , by way of a small prick to the finger . This tests Heamoglobin and Cholesterol . Again required results are on the site. I seem to recall 5.5 or below is good for Cholesterol and between 15-17 for Heamoglobin . Smokers will have higher on the Heamoglobin apparently.Im not sure if this is a pass/fail or an advisory result. You also do the pixx test here as well I believe for blood sugar and possibly other things . If you are having a morning apt dont eat frosties prior to your apt

Then a quick height weight test ,usual methods . No BMI or anything similar .I am actually overweight by quite a bit but it wasnt mentioned at any stage .

Then a swap to the optical chap . It was a very thorough eye exam . Im sure most will have done an eye test before . Very thorough indeed. One chap failed this on the day and walked away a shattered man .He had also started the GS (lessons to be learnt there)

Then a quick trip to see the actual Dr (the optometrist does the eyes and a technician does everything else) The Doctor quizzes you a little bit about general health then listens to chest and back with stethoscope then all being well issues your Class one there and then . No drama at all.

Like I say not sure if this has been done before but hopefully some may find it useful. All this info is correct as of end of Feb 2008.