PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 767 Double Engine Failure.
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2001, 13:59
tunturi

Red face

Towerdog: I bow to your superior knowledge..I would have put money on it being Eastern as I thought I was very up on it at the time,just as well I didn't then
But it was as a direct result of QRH action on EEC failure. Yes I also remember the Tristar incident ...very very lucky boys.

Oilcan:
The Boeing QRH really is that vague, nothing like your very specific manuals. Basically the QRH drill I am referring to covers one or both booster tank pumps failing in one tank. It does not recommend opening crossfeed but simply warns against problems at "high altiude". Crossfeeding drill specifically states to open cross feed
valve(s)but of course that is because you definitely want to feed both engines from the same tank and not to prevent flameout due to lack of boost pressure as such.
As I said I had just never considered FL240 as being "high"..I don't know why but I just hadn't. Now I do, although I see this incident happened at FL290. Incidentally, it is very easy to depart with crossfeed valve(s) open as switches can look very "neat" on the panel in this condition. First you'll probably know in fuel imbalance warning soemtime later (due difference in individual pump design pressure tolerances).

Edited for spelling and note to Towerdog

[This message has been edited by tunturi (edited 05 July 2001).]