PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TV Channel dedicated to flying
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2008, 11:58
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was done before; a programme called the Air Show, about 15 years ago I think.

They did some airline stuff, some GA stuff, and a not unattractive female reporter was shown doing her PPL, with her being so totally terrified that on her first solo the instructor had to be in touch with her with a handheld radio. Not a good advert for flying lessons, I thought. Peter de Cadenet was one of the reporters; he once did a review of what I think was a Commander 114 or 115 but from his reporting it wasn't obvious whether he had a PPL.

There was a thread on here a year or two ago concerning a possible sitcom based around a flying school. There is a rich vein of material to tap - all the sexual innuendos with flap levers, the instructor leaning over the female student (in a short skirt) to operate the fuel cock (in a PA28, this was described to me by one instructor as a major fringe benefit of the job; the said man vanished not long afterwards never to be seen again) etc. But again, it would not help the flight training business, without which GA in the UK would be consigned to the farm strip scene and virtual oblivion.

On serious topics, the GA scene has barely changed since the Air Show was on. There are some composite planes around now in prominence (DA40/42) which looks pretty flash and there is a lot of activity on the sports/ultralight front but one cannot get into that unless one has done a PPL first.

Might be worth digging up whoever was in charge of the Air Show to get some pointers.