PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Rating or Aeros? Help me decide.
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2002, 16:46
ornithopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Rusty,

I completed a frozen ATPL not long ago, but before I was in a UAS and had aeros training and a PPL. In my opinion as a PPL it is MUCH better to do an aeros course as it makes you more aware of things that are not taught properly on the PPL course (as there is no requirement to), such as spinning and stall/spin from a turn (kills people every year). Flying a single at night is not too wise a thing to do if it goes quiet up front, and you will not need a night rating in the summer. In my experience, keeping night current as a PPL is not that easy. Also, if you go and do an ATPL sometime (if that is your aim), you will get the instrument rating, and it is only then that night flying becomes a serious proposition - although getting back late from France in the winter it is nice to have one. I firmly belive that we should all have more aeros training as it makes you so much more aware of what the aeroplane can do, and more importantly what it cannot do.

Having said that I loved the night flying, but you may be dissappointed if you spend a lot of cash on it, as it is not difficult.

Best thing I ever did in an aeroplane was a seaplane rating.... Can't hope to keep it current, but I flew off the Mississippi for 2 days and loved every second.

Enjoy whatever you plan to do - I think aeros will be so much better - and you get to fly a more exciting aircraft as well.