PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Rating or Aeros? Help me decide.
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2002, 19:35
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Rusty,

Have tried a bit of both. Both are good fun, IMHO!

Personally, I enjoyed the night flying, but I enjoyed the aeros even more. Having said that, I'd probably recommend the night flying if you're flying on money you've saved up. Once you've completed an aeros course, hiring a Yak or similar to practice on will be expensive, and you'll probably go out of "currency" (I know there's no official currency requirements for aeros, but there's a practical requirement of remembering how to do it safely!) very quickly. With night flying, on the other hand, you'll be able to take the occassional night flight at no extra cost (or very little extra cost) compared to your regular flying.

But if you've just had a pay-rise, or find yourself with a little extra disposable income than you've had previously for whatever reason, go for the aeros - not only are they more fun than night flying, but it'll improve your flying skills too!

Can't really comment on price, since I did my aeros in the USA, so prices aren't directly comparible with over here. But, for what it's worth, the Great Lakes that I did the basic aerobatic training in cost me around double the price of a PA28 to hire. The Pitts Special cost around 5 times the price.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!

FFF. .-----------