PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand - Training Schools and Job Prospects
Old 25th Mar 2008, 06:09
dragman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gday chopper 7

Welcome to the clan. It's good advice to stick with one type. Very few employers will see two licences as a bonus, especially if you only hold a PPL(A). You're far better off keeping the money in the bank for when/if you need to get other ratings such as instructors or instrument. Some will get a PPL(A) as a waypoint for an instrument rating, but you're far better off to get your CPL(H) first and be employable. Nav is not really that hard in a chopper - especially if you're left handed!

NZ is certainly a challenging and rewarding place to learn. If you are financing yourself, you have flight schools throughout the country to choose from, and you'll need to do some research. PERSONALLY I would stick with the south island. It's more challenging terrain, mountains on your doorstep and from a living point of view - it's spectacular.

Your CPL will be recognised in Oz through the Trans Tasman agreement. However, the agreement ONLY recognises current professional licences i.e., NOT PPLs, or CPLs without a BFR and current medical.

As for the Bell 47, I agree with ersa. It's vintage. That's not to say it isn't a great machine. A Ferrari Daytona is an awesome car, but it's 35 years old and you wouldn't drive one if it was sitting next to a 2008 model F430. The chances are your first job in NZ/Oz will involve flying an R44, may as well train in an R22.

Dragman