PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR validity
Thread: IR validity
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2002, 02:04
Gary Halliday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK - honestly I don`t want to prolong this to get at anybody - but I have to respond.

It is all about JAR.

1 Yes prior to JAR the CAA would not allow Multi I/R only people to excercise single pilot I/R privileges, but there were very few of those - most people did their original I/R tests as single crew and hence were allowed to keep single pilot private qualifications even if their day jobs were multi crew.

2 "Clearly it is harder to fly an approach to minima single crew". Clearly that is bo*****s.. .The I/R renewal where ever and however it is done is not renewing a crew but a pilot. The brief is very very specfic - you are responsible for tuning aids - you are responsible for initiating comms with ATC. No prompting. You fly it. It`s your I/R. The one difference in a MEP renewal compared with a type specific renewal is the limited panel content. This came about because of a PT accident I believe. . .The number of crew is basically a reflection of the complexity of the aircraft. Light twins are simple. ( ok there must be exceptions ). The AIP sets out restrictions to minima for non public tranport single pilot ops and I haven`t got a problem there.

What is a problem is -

3 I fly in and out of the UK in atrocious wx at work then after a suitable period of recuperation I want to fly a twin (ok so I have an unhealthy interest in flying - but I`m not the only one). I can use my valid MEP rating and IMC rating to fly into a fair few airfields outside controlled airspace but close to extremely busy TMAs in equally atrocious weather down to minima which are quite close to cat 1, but I can`t file a plan airways to Jersey ?. Why do I have to do another ILS, another hold, another departure etc, etc to get another I/R?.

GH

[ 27 February 2002: Message edited by: Gary Halliday ]

[ 27 February 2002: Message edited by: Gary Halliday ]</p>