PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pardon the Loud Noise, Captain...
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2008, 00:48
kayger12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few words--

In the firearms training community the saying goes that there is no such thing as an accidental discharge-- we call them negligent discharges because that's what they are. Calling them accidental discharges is like having a pilot forget to lower the gear and calling it an accidental belly landing. Nothing accidental about it.

The firearms which pilots are allowed to carry can only be fired by pulling the trigger- period. The gun doesn't go off by itself, and it doesn't go off if dropped, hit, kicked, slammed, jolted, or otherwise displaced with (insert euphemism of choice).

One of the primary firearms safety rules goes as follows: do not place your finger on the trigger or inside of the trigger guard unless you are on target and have made a conscious decision to fire. If this rule is followed, the gun won't go off.

As for the shots at the American gun culture-- I know it's terribly untidy and offensive to your high-browed sensibilities, but it's served us well since the mid 1700's-- and I don't seem to recall too many complaints from your side of the pond during the last century while the products of our gun culture in uniform were making your part of the world safe for afternoon tea.

If someone finds their way into your little Valhalla in flight, feel free to bestow upon them the merits of reconsidering their hostile activities in lieu of a more respectable moral code-- I'll hope the guy flying the plane I'm on will be aerating the intruder's vital organs-- but there I go being American.