PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pardon the Loud Noise, Captain...
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2008, 14:13
MAUMAU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm picking up a lot of anti-US sentiment / stereotyping on here. I would be geniunely interested for those people to explain what experience led to them holding such a view and whether this was media driven or from personal experience.

Over the last number of years I've done quite a bit of research into Jihad and Islamism to try and get an understanding for myself rather that what was reported in the media of why they feel compelled to destroy the west and one thing that keeps cropping up is media control and the Eurabian alliance (far too in depth to go into on here but worth a google if you're interested).

Disturbingly you find that there is a media culture of anti-americanism and lo and behold, the readers are slowly suckered into believing that the americans are the oil stealing bad guys and the jihadis are oppressed freedom fighters. This 'laziness' of readers beliefs brings the reader round to this view in such a way that they aren't concerned about looking for the flip side of the report. I personally was finding myself to come to the same conclusion which what prompted me to go digging because I have spent a lot of time in America and have many friends there and have always been in awe of the people and the country and it was disturbing to find myself at odds with this long held view.

Anyway, back on topic, this event on an american plane where an FFDO's weapon has somehow discharged is a classic example. Read the report again and its very neutral. The fact is the gun has been fired, nobody was injured, and the plane landed safely. But before you know it, its out on the net before any investigation has happened and people are free to let their imagination run wild and drag up the first stereotype that springs to mind and from there it propogates from a non-event to a full blown 'those dumb yanks and their guns nearly downed a jet after playing with a gun in the cockpit' story.

By the time the results from the investigation are released everybody has already had time to file the story under 'S' for stupid yanks and is therefore meaningless. If the results clear anyone of any wrong doing it will be a cover up (as AKAAB framed it at the start of this thread) or simply not reported because its not 'juicy' enough.

In summary, think about your motivation for your judgements - sometimes a double check can reveal the reality rather than the myth you are being led to believe.

Peace!
Thank you for your well balanced and mature response. It is quite refreshing to hear from a individual that has the ability to think on his own.

I would share a cockpit with you anytime.