PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pardon the Loud Noise, Captain...
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2008, 13:56
mephisto88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It went bang, so what!

I believe there is a saying: "If something can go wrong, it will go wrong" according to a Mr Murphy from the land of potatoes who has been proved correct on many occasions.

The circumstances will no doubt be investigated by the appropriate authorites. If the damage had been significant, I would contend the information would already be in the public domain.

So it seems it comes down to nothing more than "Bang, oops, what went wrong, lets learn", now lets get back to keeping the bad guys out.

All of this should not detract from the fact that we should be able to protect ourselves and our fare paying guests from those that wish us, and our western lifestyle, significant harm. That a firearm was discharged should not be vindication for the anti gun lobby to assert that firearms in an aircraft under the control of crew are more dangerous than allowing MustaffaFlyOfThePlane and his band of virgin seeking mates to seek access to the flight deck without the real fear and reality of meeting said heavenly bodies were he to try and gain access.
Where I fly, we are not allowed to carry firearms in the flt deck. We are also told that if Air marshalls are placed on board, we may not be told of that fact. Both circumstances elevate the potential risk to both crew and pax.
For what its worth, I believe the US has it right in as much as they not only allow suitably screened and trained members of crew access to a weapon, but make it enough public knowledge to additionally serve as a deterrent.
Keep up the good work guys (but maybe a little easier on the trigger finger?)

Last edited by mephisto88; 12th Jan 2009 at 07:03.