PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA pilots really deserve our support re Openskys?
Old 24th Mar 2008, 13:14
World of Tweed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Counterpoint

I wonder if you or your company has been involved in any pay talks or negotiations in recent times?

Because if it had and your CC was astute enough to the fact that BA is recruiting on their current T&Cs into mainline, you will find, provides considerable leverage during any "benchmarking" exercise on pay or conditions.

For example most legacy charter outfits have for many years benchmarked themselves to BA for that very reason. To try and keep their pilots. That doesn't mean we are paid the same but it does mean that we enjoy a lifestyle that for most is similar to that which they would aspire to when working for a huge flag carrier.

In short BA guys, however arrogant the precious few on here appear to be, deserve our support. Anyone with basic insight into the industry can see that yes we - as a working group will be forever afflicted with the O'leary curse of terminal cost cuts and attacks on our livelyhoods. At some point there has to be a stand.

In BA that Time is now... quite rightly because having come from a an underling post in airline management myself - trying to do what we all suspect BA is doing is EXACTLY what I would try and do if I was a senior - bonus driven - share optioned - Manager. Thankfully I'm merely a humble driver apparently I had too much personality to make the cut!

I add that I would question some of the arguments been suggested on here particularly about BA038. But overall BALPA needs to be strong with this one. It they back down now it will be the beginning of the end to many of the quality arrangements - sure for BA at first but all that negotiation leverage for the kids on the other side of the playground just disappeared!

So whilst in their articulation and execution they may be flawed. BA guys need our support and deserve it.

The view: "well I don't have that therefore he shouldn't" is quite frankly offensive and perhaps says more about ones character - casting doubts on the ability of one to be enjoying any of these hard fought benefits in any of the Higher Cost carriers in the future!