PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New big prop, facing the A320 & 737: TurboLiner.
Old 24th Mar 2008, 12:25
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember: a new big turboprop is not competing with A320/B737 (which are not replaced till 2020). It is competing against C-series geared turbofans.
Hi chornedsnorkack. I think a fast 150 seater for regional services is A320/737 territory. I think the C-series is a bit smaller and probably longer range. Not a typical short haul people mover.

As for speed - why 676 km/h? I think A400 is faster (slightly). Tu-114 is fast, too.
You might be right. I estimated conservatively on this one, a bit faster then the Q400. I selected a "fast wing" based on the E190 and tried to limit frontal area as much as allowable for short range 6 abreast. Maybe someone can make a better speed estimation.

If you start the design of, say, ATR102 from two big turboprops of Ai-400 (with counterrotating props) - what would be your suitable MTOW?
I took the BEA146 and TP400 as starting points & then adjusted everything within the boundaries of a engine failure at V1 at LCY (expect hor. stab.) I think if you make the 4 abreast ATR longer it would become very heavy to make it stiff enough. Long landing gears would be required too.

Tu-134 has the skylight in a toilet...
Is that so ? Anyone a picture of that? I remember the P3C had them, but obviously not only for fun / admosphere..

Built in powerpushes have been looked at before. The weight penalty doesn't make them attractive. besides, if it's a turboprop - why not give it the ability to reverse using the engines?
I think new and powerfull electric engines are changing the business case. Airlines are investing (Delta), suppliers taking strategic positions. http://www.wheeltug.gi/index.shtml .

Lets remember moving around airports on engine power / with help of tugs is not for free at all.

Noise, polution and fuel consumption (weight) during airfield operations are high & airlines are looking for solutions / improvements. Imagine how quiet gates / taxiways could become. Maybe more flights at difficult hours would become allowable / feasible.

Short haul operations can include up to 14 airport movements a day per aircraft. Air Pollution is starting to limit growth in many places.