PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bypass pay - expectation management
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2008, 12:00
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A survey was done on BA pilots about their intentions wrt retirement age. Interestingly, and not surprisingly, the closer to 55 the more likely they were to extend. It seems like people always planned only to work maybe 2 or 3 years more. Its human nature I guess...always just about to leave!

The fairest solution involves fair treatment for those going beyond 55 with fair compensation for those who are bypassed. CX has saved so much in pilot remuneration with B scales and with competitor lagging salaries that it can easily afford to increase its contractual obligation to those bypassed. Still, much depends on the valuation of "lost opportunities".

The solution
Its quite simple...working beyond 55 on current terms and conditions.

Bypass pay to equivalent delayed rank and promotion to bypassed rank. That means that your second year of command bypass should be to CN2, third year to SCN1 etc and then your eventual promotion should be to appropriate rank eg SCN2. Only in this way will there be no financial penalty to CoS99 employees for CX wanting to increase RA.

I think both Raven and Albatross make good points...both A scalers and B scalers have the right to feel aggrieved. However trying to prove to each other who is more 'right' and justified is fruitless....reminds me of a monty python sketch(I think?) "Luxury! When I was a lad I used to have to get up before I went to bed...." My point is, who wins on the most aggrieved game?

I started this thread as I didn't want to see expectations 'managed down' on bypass pay. Its not up to A scalers to pay for bypass pay nor is it fair for B scalers to just 'suck it up'. If (when?) some compromise bypass deal appears, we all get one vote and then the majority of us will determine what is right and fair.