PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL revalidation flight - refusal to sign logbook
Old 28th Jun 2001, 11:52
javelin

Macintosh, this is going to be a potential problem with the new requirements coming into force. I do PFA BFR revalidations and our procedures are quite clear. If I carry out a BFR (as a PPL renewal with the normal currency requirements fulfilled) and feel that the person has not reached a suitable standard, the first course of action is to suggest further time, either then or at a mutually agreeable date. If this is not accepted, then I may refuse to sign the person's logbook. As a BFR coach, I have a responsibility to ensure that the person has received the required refresher training and has demonstrated their ability. If after the flight, they cannot do so, then it is wrong for me to sign. It is ambiguous because it must be viewed as a test of some description. In the States, where it has been in force for many years, it is simply that - a biennial skills test. Most of the time it is done in a relaxed and positive way in order to reinforce many of the things which naturally slip away with time - skills that is !