PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2008, 09:03
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regional Airports getting grants

vkid, i refer to the end of your post where you said that you would like to see an end put to the regional airports getting millions.

I would vary on that opinion, i think that its great to see the regional airports getting grants that will fund runway extentions, facility upgrades etc. Thats the first side of it. Galway for example would attract Ryanair straight away if it could handle a 737. There would be a massive growth in passenger numbers. Why would Galway or Waterford be any different that say Derry. (numbers wise)

Investment into regional airports is also putting some money back into the relevant communities, and creating employment locally. Furthermore, people living near a regional airport need a local airport not having to drive a few hours to get to one.

Eg Enniskillen is a classic example. If you live in Enniskillen you must drive 2 hours to Belfast Airport to fly. The midlands of Ireland do not have any airport. THey are all dotted around the coast.

As regards investment at Shannon, I cant clarify if money is being handed to Ryanair on a plate, but I would make a guess at that one. Shannon is no different than many regional airports, and thats what it is. It gets royal treatment because of a big political voice.

Its only a matter of time before EI moves 1 330 to Belfast to launch US flight direct, and wait and see that will be a Shannon machine.

Fuel prices will rise even further and make the winter season an uneconomic time to fly Shannon for the airlines. What will happen then?

What does anyone else think?