PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment
Old 24th Mar 2008, 08:54
OzyOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bless...Mr Seatback 2 your in overdrive with all your thoughts!! LOL!
Hhhmm, wonder if I can help you out a little with some of my thoughts..unfortunatley wont be the actual answers to your questions...but could help put your mind at ease a little..or at least give you something new to chew over..
I doubt it will be a lot of Flight Manager that V are looking for to start with, so I do expect the competition to be somewhat stiff in the beginning...guessing that they are looking for less than 30 to start with (happy for corrections if im wrong...the more the merrier I say!) out of the proposed 280 crew. Its true that EK Crew will be providing alot of the competition for these slots (as they are already familiar with the operation of the 777-300ER and some already in Purser positions)...However, having been ex EK crew myself, I am aware that the Australian crew with EK who have already achieved 'Flight Manager' or 'Cabin Leader' status have been living in DXB for many years. It can be looked from 2 different angles I suppose..one angle: They have had enough and just want to come home..no matter what.. or the second angle: Im already established (have home, car etc), I have my boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife who doesnt want to move or cant move and I also have friends here, V wont be able to match my current income 'tax free' and the destinations are far more exciting with EK then to be on just LA's only for a long period of time. Im guessing that the second angle could be where V may find their achilles heel when taking current Pursers and Leaders out of their already established environment? (also the percentage of Australian passport holders in Emirates that are already Managers/leaders isnt as high as the local nationalities etc)...the airline is made up of thousands of crew from all over the world that wont be able to legally work in australia...so there is already a large amount of applications from EK that wont be considered due to this fact. There may even be a few 'sticky beaks' who are invited for the interviews, but are not seriously considering the move...just curious about the new airline, conditions and process?
Thing is we can go nuts specuating the 'if's, but's, how's and why's'. I truely think that V will do great in recruiting the Cabin Crew from Dubai, as the less senior you are the less you have to lose by jumping ship to V. But who knows...at this initial stage, as long as you can tick all the boxes...we are all in with a shot...it always boils down to the interviews and how well you can jump those hoops!! Just hold your breath and keep fingers crossed for that fabulous email to arrive soon!

Ps It will be very lovely if the conditions are close to what QF have been offering...nice start for the Managers! Remember the aviation industry is booming at the moment...its a fantastic time to be recruited as there are so many options, you can put your eggs into many baskets!...Actually just heard today that the Sheikh announced plans for Emirates starting a low cost carrier would you believe!...so many possabilities!

Last edited by OzyOS; 24th Mar 2008 at 09:50.