PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian Grob 115 what is it like?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2002, 01:19
phd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Intersection . .Have to disagree with some of the less charitable comments above. I fly Grob115 regularly and did all my PPL training on the type. I find it a pilot friendly and generally easy aircraft to operate. Other types I have flown include Robin DR400, Slingsby T67M, Piper PA387, Cessna 172 and Grumman AA5 so I am comparing Grob with these. The performance is not sparkling but how could it be with the horsepower available and a fixed pitch prop? For training the type is fine - for touring a little slow with a 90 knot cruise - 100 knots if you don't mind guzzling fuel and using full throttle all the way. The controls are light and well balanced, the elevator trim is better than some others I could mention and you do not have to suffer cramps in the wrist going from full down to full up trim as it only takes a few turns of the trim wheel. Fuel management is important on this a/c as you cannot sight the tank which is hidden away in the belly of the fuselage. Secret is to keep tank regularly topped up and ensure the gauge always agrees with the tech log and the fuel bowser log. On our a/c the gauges seem to be reliable but the fuel log is the best check that there is plenty for the intended flight.. .Nothing wrong with this type in my view - provided you do not expect air-racer performance.