PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian Grob 115 what is it like?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2002, 19:17
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly the G115 type at Barton every few weeks & didi my validity flight with instructor in one a while back. Gutless but pleasant enough.

Don't like the trim - very coarse to my mind. Also, the UK civil G115s have aileron stops on them - dont know if this is ditto on the RAF ones.

I do like the relatively low noise level. I prefer it to soggy Cessnas, but must admit that, also staying current on Piper Warrior/Archer, I prefer them for taking passengers up (Piper being more stable and solid in feel). However, a couple of fellow pilots I've taken up havent liked it much.

It's also a bit slow to get off when two up from Bartons hallowed - oops sorry, hollowed turf. They seem to stand up well to being battered by rough ground. But we had one that ran out of fuel last year - there is no way to visually check tank contents and - Murphy's law - when a fuel guage failed, it shorted and showed full tank. It landed ok on the local golf course but hit a bunker and was off line for a couple of months being repaired.

If you'r in the north, email me and maybe you could come along one early w/e morning with me and check it out (as a passenger of course !!!!!)