PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B787 Wing Box Redesign
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 20:56
RogerTangoFoxtrotIndigo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats up with the gear? I've heard it said that it doesnt fit but I find that hard to believe.

The wingbox issue has to be serious, how can the redesign of a primary load bearing structure due to risk of failure not be serious? This explains why they have not even began static fatigue testing on the 787.

There is also talk of wings being removed from LN1/2 and reworked to change electrical runs but this may also be due to wingbox structural changes. When you start redesigning on the fly all kinds of knock ons can happen which have to be implimented in the field.

The redesign will also add weight to an aircraft rumoured to be 3000kg (787-8) and 6000kg (787-9) overweight, these are figures from ILFC's Steven Udvar-Hazy who brought the wingbox issue out into the open, you have to start to wonder about performance guarentees.

Added to the uknown unknowns that could be thown up once its powered on and the 787 project has to be of risk of an A380 type stop order so that they can go back to their CATIA and work things through.

Boeing are not telling the truth as evidenced by the statement that wingbox changes are BAU for plane production, I find it surprising is that no aviation journalist has questioned that statement.

As for the titaniunm bolts, can you imaging the chaos if some cadmium plated tools were discovered on the FAL.

Last edited by RogerTangoFoxtrotIndigo; 24th Mar 2008 at 03:44.