PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coach Drivers Strike in the Balearics
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2001, 19:08
fireflybob

I do not profess to know the ins and outs of this dispute and I am not saying that the travel companies should automatically give in to the coach drivers' demands but I do feel that the adverse media coverage does not do the travel industry any good. I do realise, of course, that the media will only select the worst stories.

However, I think it is naieve to think that this sort of dispute cannot or will not spread to other destinations (particularly in Spain) since people have things like the internet to help them get their act together. Recent demonstrations at World Trade Conferences demonstrate this fact.

My perception is that much of the tour industry is bedevilled by short term thinking and, whilst I realise the industry is highly competitive, I feel that allowing things to go this far, whoever is to "blame" shows this to be true!

Yes, there are many different destinations that people can travel to but if it is YOUR holiday that has been spoilt by a dispute then it does not matter what the destination is.

In conclusion, I think that allowing things to get to this stage shows bad business sense in the long term.

------------------