PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Discrimination: Fighting the CAA! (+ update)
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 15:00
K48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paramotoring

DK et al..
Just to let you 'oldies' in on a secret... don't worry about your medical... there's always paramotoring.... it's medical free flying... there is a CAA exemption for footlaunched a/c ..meaning no licence, no RT and no medical...
It's what got me into flying helicopters..and I absolutely love helicopters.. but Paramotoring is still awesome... you can fly from the back of your car, it's best low and slow, e.g round trees or in formation with friends etc.. - in a breeze of 20knots aloft you can 'hover' too (in relation to the ground). Cost is £5/hr.... it's the closest to being a bird you will ever get... 'real' flying with arms out and wind in your face... you can also climb to cloud base and ride thermals etc.. engine off.. Plus it is a stable craft so inadvertant entry to IMC would be no problem with no instruments.... for me the fact that it is always there is a great stress reliever for that ole pilot's 'medical anxiety syndrome' which we are all victim too.
See a fun vid at: here (not suggesting you do the waterskiing bit...)
In case you think you are too old.... I taught a friend three summers ago... he was 73 then..

Chris
P.s.. 9 pm on Bank Hol Monday night on CH 4 there is a documentary about a good friend of mine who Paramotored over Everest... 28000ft-29000 with 02 and supercharged engine.. you can see what it's about then... Giles taught me to paramotor and I am ever grateful... he make's the paramotors himself.