PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPL
Thread: MPL
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 14:44
empati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Experience

In this context experience means that you have what it takes of knowledge and skills to get a succsessfull completion of the flight. The experience level differ based on the quality of your training, type of experience and the amount of exposure. Flight time gives a pilot the chance to correlate earlier experience to new experience. A pilot with high exposure (flight time), will normaly have a easier time finding a solution. Every pilot do mistakes, but a experienced pilot do normaly less mistakes. Seen it, done it before, not again!

But there have been times when experience did not help: Remember the Aeroflot Airbus accident. Captain had his son behind the stick. Long story made short; aircraft went in to a spin, the captain performed spin recovery technique, recovered, but to low, and crashed. Investigators performed the same manuver in the sim in Toulouse. Hands of the stick and the airbus automaticly recovered, at safe altitude. High experience, bad attitude.

Selecting the best pilot candidates is challenging, but after over two deccades sitting beside somebody, I must say that attitude, honesty and good people skills stick out as most important. World champions and quiet people the worst.

I don't think MPL pilots have the fundation in basic flying skills that's neccessary. Even the 737 can get you in the corner!! There have been accidents due to the first officer being too inferior to his captain. Will MPL pilots know when to challenge their captain?

I am not convinced!