PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deleting Registry Entries
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 12:39
The Flying Pram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleting Registry Entries

My laptop isn't the fastest machine on the block (1.5 Ghz~512Mb Ram), so I follow advice to keep it free of unwanted programmes, temp files, cookies etc. I also disable all the things I don't frequently use from the Start menu. It has Zone Alarm firewall, AVG, Spybot, & Adaware, all kept up to date, and run regularly.

I installed an Internet monitoring programme a few days ago - "Net Limiter" - which proved quite an eye opener as regards how much I download. It did, however, cause problems on start up, and seemed to be clashing with Zone Alarm, and the wireless adaptor.

In the end I removed it from "Add and Remove Programmes" within Windows. Unfortunately the extra delay remains, and looking through the registry there are still some entries left behind. Now I'm well aware of the risks that tinkering with the Registry can pose, so I am asking if it is safe to delete all these entries, and if so how? Can I just delete all the folders, or does it have to be done individually?

Manually searching I have found them under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software
HKEY_USERS_S-1-5-21- very long number -Software

I looked at some of the Freeware "Uninstallers" but I get the impression that they are meant to be used while the software is still installed.

Any advice would be welcome.
TFP.