PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Aircrew Threads
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2008, 11:14
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a non-aircrew military board would be good (imagine, you might see threads like 'pictures of a/c towing tractors from the old boston road', or 'payd sucks'), however you'd probably find the lords of the air would creep in every now and again to find out how the airfarce realy works...

Non-aircrew forum is e-goat, is it not?

This forum was probably one of the very first I guess and I take my hat off to the guy (‘Danny’?) who had the energy and drive to get it going and to keep it going. I don't mean any dissrespect to him.

A bloke I know, once had a TVR and he started a messageboard for his other TVR mates in the mid/late 1990s. But it attracted people who had Jags, and MGs and Toyotas too, who wanted to talk about cars.. so he catered for them as well. And one day, they decided that they had more than just cars in common and they started talking about politics, relationships, flying, sailing, hobbies and holidays (sounds a bit gay, thinking about it ) just as anyone might want to do in any bar or crewroom.

So he catered for them too. Last year, the website (pistonheads) was fought for by the 2 biggest magazine publishers in the UK at the time, and one of them eventually paid (imho) a whopper for it. But there remains the common thread there: cars. And whatever you drive, whatever your budget, whatever your ability.. respect isn’t asked for, but it is always given when cars are discussed, or when people express an interest.

I wasn’t advocating change, just commenting on it. But change happens (who would have thought that a small Finnish company called Nokia would ever diversify from making paper or that a supermarket would ever sell petrol?) and I’m not suggesting that what happens there, happens here - you can’t compare apples with pears. I would not presume to argue the point either way here, but I have made many good friends in PPrune (some I have been lucky enough to meet, some to talk to, and some to PM with) and I would see no benefit to going over to somewhere like E-goat (no disrespect to it) to gauge the opinions of people who I don’t know.