PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow separation
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 20:32
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 120.4
NATS own documentation (not mine) shows that since Nov 2006, on average about 20% of wake-vortex pairs are under-spaced and this is consistent with rates measured before that time.
Does 'wake-vortex pairs' = 'wake-vortex encounters'? Or is 'wake-vortex pairs all observed pairs where wake-vortex separation monitoring is critical factor ?

Then .4 says
Originally Posted by 120.4
Also, just under 1% of all arrivals cross the threshold before the preceding has vacated the runway. Most landings that roll 2,500m down are heavy and so have increased spacing behind. Therefore, as we have only about 2 go arounds on average per day, it is probable that most of this 0.8% of arrivals are in breach of legal minima.
which seems to use the assertion that 20% of all observed pairs are underspaced.

The introduction of VMC to the analysis does what? Wake vortex is for all intents invisible, Mark I eyeballs have limitations, and I thought TCAS wasn't designed for maintaining separation in the last stages of approach, so are we just highlighting another anomaly where blame shifts but the primary means of monitoring and controlling the separation doesn't, zkdli?

Humour us - what's the intermediate approach angle you are getting at?