PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow separation
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 12:13
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for explaining how you feel, but seriously, why are we still reducing the system to individuals, and 'Andrew' to the status of a loose cannon? No-one is criticising individuals. Individuals inhabit the system, and individuals pay& benefits is maybe 70% of the system operational expenditure, but individuals are NOT the system.

PS Surely no final salary pension scheme which has taken an employers contribution holiday in the last 5 years is in surplus especially after the last couple of weeks . Have you people taken your eye off that ball?? Fascinating.

Your HR boss Phil James told you a while ago that the pension scheme was costing well over 30% of your salaries - so if they haven't been paying in their whack since the very wobbly days of 2002, where's the salary 'in lieu' in it now?

The reason they haven't been paying in is because your customers (some that own half of NATS and some that don't, but who do regularly get to influence your budget via ERG) said they didn't want to, just like they don't want to pay to their own schemes or indeed for anything much thesedays. They just want you to push more tin and deliver sub-one minute average delays and NATS pays multi-million pound penalties if it fails to do so.

Is all that all broadly not so?

When the government finally decided that PPP was the way to go, they said then that NATS needed £100M+ pa capital investment per annum for at least a decade, and that was based on estimates now 10 years old. I think they expected at one point to get around £850M for the bit they sold. But some say they only actually got £50M in the end. How much private money has actually been invested in NATS? Has it really been enough to keep you state of the art?

...and again Roffa, don't take my position so personally - I am arguing one of many sides to what I am sure could be a useful debate. Debates involve opposing points of view. It's healthy, they told us so at school Tell you what though, yours and HD's ill-disguised pointers to another PPRuNe member are surely not Queensberry . Fisticuffs were for PE , but seems you now want to duff him behind the bikesheds

Last edited by slip and turn; 22nd Mar 2008 at 12:36.