PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation leads to manslaughter charges. UPDATE: Prosecution Withdrawn
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 08:44
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it best to ignore this Addison chap, as I suspect that he is simply a troll, or someone connected with this case in some way who has decided to be a little unpleasant to aviators as a way of retaliating. If he is a relative or friend of one of the deceased, then perhaps his anger is understandable, even if it is misdirected.

The issue of causality will, I am sure, come out in the civil hearing. Much can be gleaned from very careful reading of the accident report, but there is a great deal more evidence subsequently gathered and examined that sheds more light on what most probably happened. It's worth noting that flexwing microlights have some very different handling quirks than those found when a conventional aircraft is pushed to the corners of it's envelope. The AAIB were, and to some extent still are, lacking in detailed expertise in flexwing handling and performance, so relied on support from the manufacturer, which was hardly impartial in these particular circumstances.

If the full defence costs are paid, then the trustees of the fund that contributed over £6,000 to the initial £20,000 or so of costs the inspector incurred before legal aid was awarded will have to make the difficult decision as to what best to do with it. I am sure that this will be done with respect for the wishes of those who donated, the wishes of the inspector and consideration for the deceased and their families. Whatever is decided will be made public in due course, I am sure.

VP