PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over water and mountains
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2002, 21:39
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jayemm, Whirly and all:

When discussing safety issues be it flying or casual / recreational sex we must weigh the danger in relation to the pleasure.

It would be foolish to think that we as human animals will not expose ourselves to danger in our quest for pleasure so what we must strive for is " RISK MANAGEMENT "

There is also that nagging fear of statistics that must be added to the equasion when making decisions regarding flying. For instance I have flown in high risk areas for many years such as crop dusting fixed and rotary wing seven years, firebombing fifteen years, airshow circuit on and off for more years than I care to remember. Now when I make my decisions I must factor in statistics because sooner or later something will go horribly wrong so I now factor that in and try to keep dumb decisions to a minimum.

Maybe you guys and gals can give me some advice?

I must ferry a Cat from North Weald to Virginia Beach Virginia as soon as the North Atlantic weather warms up in the spring. The price of fuel is very high in Narsarsuaq Greenland, to save money should I take on extra fuel in Keflavik Iceland and by pass Narsarsuaq and fly direct Goose Bay?

There is no problem getting an over weight ferry permit should I decide to save the money, however for a period of time during the start of the trip the airplane will not be able to maintain altitude and should we lose an engine it will drift down with a forced landing at sea.

So there is a risk management decision, remember I will he flying two single engine airplanes in one due to twice the chance of an engine failure for the first few hours.

How about helping me out here and give me some good advice?

Here is a hint: . . The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.