PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over water and mountains
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2002, 18:20
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jayemm - great question, and one I've been thinking about lately as I'm looking forward to my first cross-channel flight when, as part of a group comprising several aircraft, I am planning to go to Barcelona in May. Some in the group intend to take the shorter crossing at Cap Gris Nez, whereas the rest of us feel OK about following the published VFR route from SAM to the Cherbourg peninsular - a much longer crossing.

The way I've been thinking about it is to compare half-an-hour over water with other activities. For example, when people fly single-engine at night, they are taking a similar risk (forced landing in the dark!) for a longer time.

Its a matter of personal choice. I too have come across others - including the manager of our flying club who I believe is himself a BA pilot - who say that they would not personally fly over water single-engine.

I am concerned about the risks of ditching itself - but at the same time reasonably confident that the chances of this happening are slight, and that we have reasonably good SAR services in sourthern England (don't we?) and that I should be able to alert these services via VHF (e.g. Portsmouth Radar) wherever I am over the Channel.

I am looking forward to reading other replies to see how others rationalise this. I'd also like to know if there is a source of information regarding actual incidents / fatalities of cross-channel flying (same for Irish Sea) as this might help illuminate whether we should have genuine concerns, or whether - as I suspect - we are dealing with a slim additional risk (as long as good airmanship is observed) compared to regular VFR operations in the UK.

Cheers all,

Andy

[ 19 February 2002: Message edited by: Aussie Andy ]</p>