PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Seasprites cancelled finally
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2008, 21:44
Tibbsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone going to be held accountable for the 1 billion dollar loss or doesn't the military work like that?

Who made the original decision? Was it an individual or a group? What is the explanation for the error or does everyone involved cover for everyone else?

Is it a case of not seeking outside advice? From my experience with the military on Airspace it appears that there is no culture of asking advice and following something that is already proved successful rather than inventing something new.
Not very helpful Dick.

With the exception perhaps of those members of the last cabinet who rolled Nelson's attempt to cut this one away, I doubt very much that anyone is claiming that the whole thing wasn't a shambles.

If you have read anything on this issue other than the forums here, you will understand that the seasprite is one of the last legacy projects from a bygone era, prior to DMO, capability and finance all being aligned.

That is the explanation for the error and acquisition failures such as this are the reason that the process is completely different now and highly unlikley to occur again.

Furthermore, there is a distinction between 'the military' and the civilian Department of Defence. Your 'experience with the military', I respectfully submit, may be somewhat subjective and in any case, the organsiational sub-component you dealt with regarding airspace is in no way related to those who are responsible for capability development and acquistion.