PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli 'collides with gas rig' 11-Mar-08
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2008, 21:39
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firstly a disclaimer: I know NOTHING about offshore oil/gas support!!

However, I have been interested in this incident as it is not an event that is simply confined to the oil/gas support industry, and I would even go so far as to say that it is not "unique", "isolated", nor "minor". But I do think it is testament to the shrouded tail rotor systems available. I have read the Brent Spar accident and I can draw the connection between the two in contributing factors. The very different outcomes are no reason to avoid comparison - I think they are the very reason FOR comparison.

I think it is well accepted safety practice to react to identified hazards in a stepped approach that begins with "engineer the problem out" and ends with "train to cope" (warnings and SOPS somewhere in the middle). Engineering this problem out is almost impossible short of having the helidecks always above all other obstacles - but this is not practical for most rigs/boats and is impractical for nearly all unprepared land based HLS. So the next avenue is the helicopter design and therefore trade off (there are no free lunches).

The fenestron and NOTAR are attempts to engineer this issue out - or at least minimise the likely consequences of an eventual probable strike by the aircraft type, but they come with power/weight/cost/maintenance penalties (see Nick Lappos for a great dissertation on this!). Incidents like these graphically explain the benefit side of the cost/benefit analysis of that design choice, and we pilots often need a graphic demonstration to prove such points. Our clients need it even more!

Therefore, whilst this incident had "minor" consequences for the human lives, it has so much potential to teach us something about our profession that it is a free lesson (in terms of lives, not aircraft lost). It is an absolute credit to an organisation that posts such pictures that we may all learn.
Perhaps we can appreciate that this type of incident is possible by almost any pilot almost anywhere in the world in almost any role.

Please overlook those who would gloat. It won't ever happen to them.....
Rather, post for those of us who want to learn.