PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on flying whilst at University
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2002, 03:40
Daifly

Hi Rusty,

Although it's 8 years since I was in the same boat as you, I can remember dedicating more time to working out how to pay for my flying than my halls bill and food (but not drink of course!)

Firstly there is the obvious one, the UAS (University Air Squadron). Getting in is hard and it depends where you go to Uni too. I went to a Polyversity in the South West which meant that my local UAS was Bristol (based just outside Bath at Colerne) and, with no car, it meant a 2 hour (on a very good day) train trip each way and having to go up the night before. Perhaps my dedication to flying therefore was suspect? Nope, cos I got a job (which nearly ended up full-time in parallel with my course) at a flying school.

Although the pay wasn't that good (15 mins flying for every day worked if I remember rightly) it did mean that I got to fly for an hour every other week, and being at the flying school meant that I got to sit in the right hand seat with PPLs just hour building - and getting on maintenance positioning flights and stuff.

The one thing about Uni is that you have a continuous source of people who want to go flying - think about how many people you meet each day, whether they're your best mates or just on the same course, and you can always fill a spare seat (then it was only £10 for half an hour!) Combined with the flying time I was earning I was averaging about 2.5 hours a month - not great, but it kept my licence current.

The minute I started work after I graduated though my licence lapsed - I don't really subscribe to the "poor student" thing as a result! (Or is it that I'm still paying off my debts now 5 years later!?!)

So, two options, UAS or work for it (and utilise all those students with loads of money in their first grant cheque! (Do people still get grant cheques, or is Tony using it to pay for his (albeit B777) flying?!)

Good luck though, make the most of it. I have to get up in the morning at 6:30 for work - for three years (94-97) I thought there was only one 6.30 in the day, and it was the one when the pubs were open).

Dai.