PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does a novice judge an instructor?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2002, 02:25
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chickenhawk,. .. .Very good question. Nearly 4 years after getting my PPL(A), I'm still not sure of the answer, but I can give you some of my thoughts.. .. .I've heard it said that older, more experienced instructors may be the best, but on the other hand may be a bit jaded and losing interest. On the other hand, the newer instructor may be less experienced, but has done an instructors course more recently, and may be more enthusiastic. But from my own experience, I think I'd pick the more experienced instructor every time, other things being equal.. .. .Pick someone you feel you can get on with on a personal level; personality clashes in the air are not to be recommended. . .. .If you can find out, pick a career instrutor rather than an hours builder; he/she will be less likely to leave to get another job at a crucial part of your training.. .. .See if you can find out how long instructors tend to stay, and ask whether you'll get the instructor you ask to have - you can't do that everywhere. Otherwise you may get a succession of them with little continuity. . .. .At the best schools the CFI takes an interest in every student, and will fly with them at intervals to check how newer instructors are doing. I think this is less common in f/w than helicopter schools, but it's worth checking.. .. .Ask around; find out what other people think about both the school and the instructor. This isn't always reliable, but it helps.. .. .Don't be afraid to complain, or change instructor, or even change school, if you're not satisfied. You are the paying customer; the school and instructor are not doing you a favour.. .. .That's all I can think of for now, but I hope you get some more answers. Good luck!