PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Area of Responsibility question re Fire Handle Actuation.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 11:01
moggiee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus
How do effectively "manage" a flight deck and it's crew and at the same time carefully watch the F/O work through the engine fire drill which among other things requires confirmation by the captain that the correct actions are agreed to and confirmed by the captain.
Part of that management responsibility is monitoring what the FO is doing. A certain amount of how you do it depends upon the quality and training of your FOs.

For example, a certain large, British airline has the following in the emergency brief for actions after an RTO:

Capt to FO: "You will action any fire or failure drill UNMONITORED whilst I liaise with the cabin crew and ATC."

In fact, several other UK airlines for whom I've trained pilots do the same. This obviously relies upon you having an FO you can trust - which they do because their selection and training are up to scratch.

However, as I stated previously, I think that who does what is less important than the crew KNOWING who does what. There are merits in the Captain doing the shutdown and merits in the FO doing it - but the most important thing is that the Captain and FO know what is expected of them and follow that SOP.