PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Happy at Emirates?
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2008, 10:29
Gillegan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't confine yourself to just the "happy chappies" but when you do listen to those more negative, get past the emotions and look closely at why. Some are happy because:
  • The job is better than what they came from.
  • The equipment is big and new.
  • The flying is interesting - you will see more of the world than at most other jobs.
  • Company provided accommodation.
Some reasons why others aren't happy:
  • The high rate of inflation vs. the declining value of the dirham/dollar.
  • Poor consultation by our management in taking decisions that directly affect our quality of life and working conditions.
  • Complete disregard by our management of serious fatigue issues. This includes poor rest facilities on the aircraft and trip schedules and layovers that violate some of the most basic tenets of fatigue management and safety.
  • To expand on the previous point - 24 hour layovers after flights exceeding 17 hours in length. Most appalling about this is that their own "approved" ULR FTL document prohibits this, yet they do it anyway. It says a lot about the quality of regulation here.
  • Flight Time Factoring. Again, a roster and fatigue issue whereby, your time spent in the bunk on a long haul flight does not count towards Flight Time Limitations. The result being that you could be rostered well in excess of 120 hours per month. My understanding is that it is not being used in a big way right now but expect it to be employed more and more in the coming months as the company reduces its recruitment targets for budgetary reasons.
I'm sure other can add a lot to either list. The point is that you need to do your homework on the specific issues and decide if it makes sense. I've flown with quite a few new FO's coming from smaller (RJ's) equipment who looked across the table at me with their jaws agape as I recounted specific rostering practices. They too only wanted to talk to the "happy pilots" before coming here. Come out for your interview, get as much information as you can and compare it with your current situation. If you make an informed decision to come, you will most likely count yourself among the happy. If you allow yourself to only consider the positives, you will find the negative issues looming larger in your psyche once you have been here a while.