PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Area of Responsibility question re Fire Handle Actuation.
Old 21st Mar 2008, 05:55
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
On the ground, the majority of those airlines had the Captain doing what he's paid for (managing the flight deck, managing the crew etc.) whilst the FO actions the Fire drill
How do effectively "manage" a flight deck and it's crew and at the same time carefully watch the F/O work through the engine fire drill which among other things requires confirmation by the captain that the correct actions are agreed to and confirmed by the captain. Seems to me the whole business of the captain actually carrying out the vital business of cutting the engines, firing the bottles, checking that indeed the bottles have been fired, has been lost in some politically correct warm and fuzzy process where the first officer is given some personal responsibility to pull the odd lever here and there.

The whole concept of areas of responsibility has developed into a "this is my job - not yours so lay off the landing light switches they are MY responsibility - not bloody yours". And while you are up to it keep your hands of the APU fire switch I will pull it - not you. We now see the ultimate in pedantic stupidity when operators lay down in an Ops Manual exactly what page each pilot must have in front of him on the CDU on take off and during the climb and approach to landing. - conveniently forgetting that both pilots have the ability to select any page they like in less than five seconds on their CDU.