PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2008, 23:30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One last attempt!

Those that talk of the march - of course plenty of people were there 1,100 + (who could argue?) but they were not all pilots. Lets say 1 x pilot, 1 x WHAG and 1 x child - leaves 370'ish - let's be generous & say 500. That leaves 2,700 pilots not attending, many of whom will be down route or (genuinely) resting. Go figure.
My point is simply that when assessing spin (for that read BA spin), remember that BALPA too is not backward in that area.
Shaka,
You have taken the trouble to read my past posts; forgive me if I don't give you or others the same courtesy. I'm not sure that it helps progress the debate. You know where I'm coming from. I am ground troops but anything more would defeat the anonymity of the forum we join. Manager? I suppose I manage some but I am manged by many more!!
My line hasn't changed much. Fairly straitforward argument. I think this is about BALPA (BACC) seeking to control BA's business decisions. Why ?
Well, most unions will, I agree, seek to grow their membership when all other things are equal. BALPA is not "most" unions.
For one, they are in the pocket of BACC and secondly, it is in the interest of all BA pilots to restrict entry - thus protecting progress to plan of curent incumbants.
No-one in the BACC seriously believes this is an issue of job security - they have all but admitted as much in public forums.
So what is this all about? My view.
Control.
BACC are uncomfortable with BA setting up an offshore operation. Loads of companies have done so successfully and this need not be at the expense of the workers at base. BACC do not trust BA and want to constrain BA's ability to do so. The BACC method is to ensure that access to command is all BA MSL (hence restricting entry / progress to DEPs) and BA will pay the price by providing access to all O/S DEPs to the BA MSL .
BACC wins all heads up!!
Why shouldn't O/S pilots have automatic access to the BA MSL? Because they will owe their future to mainline BA and the 24 pps and will be trusted to not rock the boat and "compete". BACC has already said that it would expect the "gap" to be closed or "share the growth" when O/S hit profitability, which is odd since they also say they will be hands off.
In truth, if they get their way, BACC will control /own BA flying however its dressed up.
Why would any company agree to that?
Reason enough to strike on its merits or because you're just naffed off!