PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2008, 23:03
chris weston
Second Law

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr and Mrs Cavitation

Milt,

I must needs disappoint and apologise to you if you feel I have mislead you and others, engineer I ain't and I can't advise on something as safety critical as the operation of conventional HP pumps in likely cavitation situations. I can speculate that the 777 had a fuel mixture problem probably revolving around additives.

I have great respect for those people such as yourself for whom cavitation is a not merely an armchair and academic exercise.

I'm simply a pure-ish chemist who has the privilege to work with some competent Chem Eng people who, amongst other things, pump a lot of hydrocarbons around.

We agree that any gas phase hydrocarbons et al will go back to liquid phase more or less instantly and that their half life (t ½) will be short.

Mr is the Mass of a Molecule on the C scale and I am further to blame for not rendering it as such in my text. I typed the r s as the subscripts they should be at the time but on cutting and pasting, the site rendered them as "Mr" and in the plural as "Mrs" - I forgot the understandably limited word processing on the site, Word it ain't. I also typed +8 (superscript) O Centigrade which became +80C ………. a singularly startling LHR Jan temperature. My fault, not Danny's, I know the site does this, mea culpa.

CW