PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow separation
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2008, 21:30
flower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The safety systems in place within NATS have been formulated over years and are continuously under review, not by managers controlling desks but by the coalface workers themselves. ATCOs regularly report themselves if they feel there was a fault or a system that wasn't necessarily working as well as it could.

What this report to me seemed to do was bring into question the professionalism and safety culture which belongs with NATS operational staff. Safety first is a mantra so often repeated, knowing the operational staff I have encountered there is nothing that would get in the way of that. One only has to look at the uproar when Mr Barron made the comment of how ATCOs were more loyal to their licence than to NATS to show just how important we believe that licence is to us and no commercial pressures i doubt will ever change the professional way in which operational staff view safety.

Individuals make errors what a shame that a former colleague feels fit to air those errors to a national broadcaster when any errors will have been dealt with internally anyway. It isn't as if they are brushed under the carpet and ignored.