PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow separation
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2008, 18:32
shoey1976

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we highlighted one incident. In the 33 page report written by "Andrew" there were a dozen LOS incidents. The Reading one was the most serious.

None were airproxes -- although a couple were very borderline cases.

The CAA have spotted a trend of increased LOS's because they automatically generate MORs. They have spoken to NATS and ordered remedial action. in some cases extra training.

As I said on air and have made clear, "Andrew" goes out of his way to praise the professionalism and skill of his former colleagues. What concerns him though is the pressure on them to be at 100% all of the time. when you have little "wriggle room", the consequences of even small mistakes can be magnified.

Yes I know there is STCA and TCAS, but would you be confident about relying on them to get you out of a hole, or would you prefer never to be put in that situation?

"Andrew" cares deeply about his former colleagues -- I've been speaking to him for many weeks, and he strikes me as being highly conscientous.

The fact that his immediate boss praised his work in that report was telling, in our view.

Please excuse my slight stream of consciousness -- I've been in the office since 6.30 and was here until nineish last night.

I've made every effort to be as thorough as possible in compiling these reports -- it's taken quite a few weeks of research.

Best wishes

Ian Shoesmith
BBC News
07769 977665

PS this is the second major story broken as a result of help from ppruners -- thanks to one and all for your (almost) universal support and patience. if anybody has any other aviation concerns -- you know where to find me.

PPS as for anonymity, "Andrew" is aware his former bosses and colleagues will recognise him. having just retired on medical grounds, he now wants to create a new life for himself with his family.