PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB investigation leads to manslaughter charges. UPDATE: Prosecution Withdrawn
Old 20th Mar 2008, 07:31
straightfeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting away from the some of the less than informed comment over all this.

After the AAIB report I asked the BMAA Chief Exec what sort of cover the Inspector might expect to defend and protect himself. I was told that he was given the names of recommended lawyers.
When I asked about using the BMAA insurance cover there was doubt that this may not be possible. Negligence by anyone or by any body at that time had not been proved. Clearly, the back watching that FL talks about.

I have not renewed my BMAA Inspectors ticket this year due to a health problem, but I'm sure glad I never relied on their insurance and support in any case that may have befallen me. Oh, and I did it all for sod all except petrol money. As for engineering background. Over 30 years from apprentice to the big jets plus years of tech college.

Many good people came to Johns rescue and devoted a lot of effort and time to raise doubts about causes, system failures etc. None of this reflects well on BMAA or the overseeing CAA.

On a slightly different tack. As good and as well meaning as the AAIB are in finding the causes (and not to apportion blame) of accidents, these freely available reports are seen by a few who will see only blame and guilt. If only life were that simple. That these reports are then used for legal cases seems to me that the less we say to the AAIB the better.

Its comforting to see that the BMAA have since appointed a Chief Inspector who has set systems and standards that hopefully will not allow this to easily happen again.

The system at the time allowed John to do what he did. It also failed to support him in his hour of need. Kind hearted peeps did that.
Its not certain that the eventual failure of the trike was as a result of any work done.

My thoughts are of course for those that lost their lives and their families.