PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incidents. How did you cope?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2001, 17:35
G SXTY

Red face

My first solo was particularly memorable. Once I'd recovered from the shock of my instructor jumping out, I composed myself enough to run through the power checks and call ready departure.

I then managed a lovely neat take off & circuit, altitude heading & airspeed right on the numbers. Downwind call was fine, as was the pre-landing checklist & turn onto base. Turn final, call finals & select full flap - it's going like a dream. 60kts over the numbers, it was too good to be true. It was.

Boiiinng! Huge bounce (incidentally the 1st time I'd ever experienced one). Optimistically sit there hoping it'll sort itself out. It doesn't - the 2nd one is bigger, and I'm starting to feel like a passenger. Instant visions of another C152 collapsed nosewheel accident report, and I remember that I'm supposed to be flying the aircraft - full power & call going around.

Stagger into the air with slightly dented pride, but never mind - it's a lovely day, a good command decision, and I get to double my P1 time. Second time around, equally neat circuit, equally awful landing. I take no chances and go around again.

Third approach, and this time I'm really really trying. The flare is smoother, but boiiinng!! We're up in the air again, and frayed nerves command yet another go-around.

Now I'm starting to sweat. No-one else is going to land it for me, just try & relax, work out what I'm suddenly doing wrong after an hour of lovely smooth (dual) landings and - above all - fly the aircraft.

Turn finals for the fourth time, and the control column is soaking wet in my hands - mental note to get some gloves for next time. Call finals and my instructor is on the frequency; "Just make sure you've got all the power off, and fly it along the runway."

At last. Main wheels touch down & stay down, a no doubt very relieved nosewheel follows suit. Crawl off the active, complete the shutdown checks & stumble back to the clubhouse. Never, ever, have I felt so drained.

Once I'd calmed down and analysed it all (about a week later) the clause was clear. More used to Stapleford's 22L, which is uphill and tarmac, I could get away my naughty habit of leaving power on. 04L (downhill and grass) was a different proposition, and it was bound to catch me out at some stage.

The lesson, which I'm glad I learnt early on and painlessly, is to always always fly the aircraft. Don't ever be afraid to go-around / go somewhere else / turn around & go home - it'll still be there next time, and you'll be a wiser and safer pilot for the experience.

------------------
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit pruning.