PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wings Aviation Airplane Missing!
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2008, 11:48
DRPAM007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Last Defense In The Error Chain?

I am elated to find that we have a great number of intellectual and concerned Nigerian Pilots in this forum.

I recall the Aviation and allied business published a brief interview in August 1997 while I was the secretary Pilot trade group in NAAPE ( National association of airline Pilots and Engineers), where I raised the issue of pilots being subjected to undue commercial pressure by operators thus impacting negatively on safety standards. The idea was to initiate a process that will evolve some sort of legal/job protection, considering a Pilot was sacked on the spot by the proprietor of Kabo airlines for refusing to conduct a pressurisation system test-flight with fare paying passengers on board. The aircraft had previously suffered an in-flight decompression (and) without sufficient oxygen on board. The rectification action required a mandatory test flight.
Suffice to say, another Pilot actually stepped forward and miraculously carried out the required test-flight and commercial flight simultaneously. You wonder what the tech log entry will read.
Of course the then Military government did not care and the FCAA was busy on a looting spree.The sad thing was most of the pilots just applauded the idea from a distance, but did nothing to support it.

“Evil thrives when good people do nothing”.

I do believe that the pilot is the last defence in the error chain.
No disrespect to our AME, (aircraft maintenance engineers) of which I happen to be one as well. This may seem far fetched or even arrogant, but the point I’m trying to make is that, the privilege brings with it great responsibilities. In essence, I hold the pilot community(myself included) largely responsible for the current despicable safety standard in the African sub continent.

Human error is inevitable, the 80:20 rule still holds sway despite ergonomics, defences-in-dept, Deming’s’ quality cycle, e.t.c.
We will still have errors in concept, design, manufacture, maintenance, SOP’s, air traffic control clearances, but all said and done if the point’s man with the stripes who accepts the tech log takes the decision that the flight will not go into the sky, there is a chance the accident will be averted. If he decides to risk it, it is his call but others too may have to pay for his recklessness.

Case in point. 25th Feb. 1995, maintenance error saw British midlands B737-400 despatched with both engines’ high pressure rotor drive covers missing. The flight crew observed the falling oil pressure and decided to make an emergency landing in Luton.The flight lasted only 17 minutes and landed with 10% oil in the gear box, saving 189 lives'; positive Last line of defence.

1st July 2001,Bashkirian Airlines Tupolev 154 flying from Moscow to Barcelona and a DHL Boeing 757 flying from Bergamo to Brussels. Both fully serviceable TCAS equipped aircrafts manned by very experienced crew in radar controlled airspace.
Both aircraft at FL 360 and converging. In a bid to avoid an imminent collision the controller gives TU-154 instruction to descend (expecting the B757 will still be maintaining FL360) but TCAS gives the TU-154 crew instruction to climb, Pilot decides to go with controller and descends. The DHL crew on the other hand, simply complied with their co-ordinated TCAS RA to descend.
The aircrafts collide at FL 330 and 71 people are killed. A classic case where no one really committed a culpable violation, but the last decision which could have averted the fatal accident rested with the pilots, and unfortunaltely the result was negative to the chain of defense.

The Nigerian Pilot community can not absolve itself from complicity in the current safety standards. I believe most of us stood by and watched; we failed to act appropriately while aviation safety standards are being eroded by ignorant bureaucrats and a few unscrupulous professionals.

A few reasons, why we should team up to salvage the situation.

1.International law accepts that a suspect is innocent, until proven guilty, but there is slight twist in aviation. Without really saying it, in the aftermath of an accident, the pilot assiduously is pre-judged guilty until absolved by the accident report.
2.Pilots by virtue of their location in the aircraft usually have the least chance of surviving most crashes.
3.Pilots put their signatures on their licenses to show they are bound by air law to comply with the safety regulations of the country of issue.
4.They are paid by the operators to professionally and safely carry out their duties (not yield to commercial pressure at the behest of the operator).
5.They are trusted by the travelling public to fly them in safety and relative comfort.

In the light of the above, why should Pilots (allow themselves to be coaxed into the habit of ) quietly and deliberately decide to fly aircrafts that are marginally safe/unsafe , in an airspace without adequate navigational aids, no route forecasts, to a destination without TAF,METAR, NOTAMs, secure perimeter, serviceable landing aids and adequate Rescue and fire fighting capability?

Ever visited some of your colleagues orphaned children and looked at them in the eye, knowing if you had stood up for what you believed, perhaps their parent may still be alive?

Do you still think there’s nothing we as a group can do?
We can speak out in the interest of safety and sustainable development. The operators, regulators, service providers, ground staff, engineers, travelling public all need us to speak out and act professionally.

I’m not insisting that you join a "perceived militant" group like NASI (Nigeria Aviation Safety Initiative) but at least decide and do something and as they say “A tree does not make a forest, but it can mark the beginning of an Oasis”.

Last edited by DRPAM007; 23rd Mar 2008 at 10:32. Reason: gramma and concision.